Be they politician, writer, musician or entrepreneur, I am keen to approach each public figure in an open, questioning and stimulating way, getting to grips with the person behind the public façade, their work and their ways of thinking.
Since I speak fluent Russian (as well as fluent English, Spanish and French) and having spent a few years in Eastern Europe, the countries of Russia and Eastern Europe are often the topics of my articles.
I have met high profile figures from the worlds of politics, economics and culture, whilst interviewing or profiling them for a range of publications including Cicero.
These personalities include:
- the German astronaut Thomas Reiter
- the long time director of the Moscow Pushkin Museum , Irina Antonowa
- the prime minister of the South African province Western Cape, Helen Zille
- the judge representing Germany at the European Court of Human Rights, Angelika Nussberger
- the conductor Sir Simon Rattle
- former NATO-secretary general Anders Fogh Rasmussen
- the writer Stanislaw Lem
- the Russian entrepreneur Michael Prochorow
- former German ChancellorHelmut Schmidt
- the president of the German Bundesbank during German monetary reunification Karl-Otto Pöhl,
- the former president of Chile,Ricardo Lagos
As a journalist I gained my first experiences in New York, writing for the Chelsea Clinton News / The Westsider and in Moscow working for the weekly newspaper Moskowskije Nowosti. Afterwards, I worked as an economics section editor of the Berlin newspaper Tagesspiegel. Subsequently, as companieseditor of the German leading economic newspaper Handelsblatt I was responsible for all companies in Berlin and the New Bundesländer. I have been writing for Cicero since it started up in 2004. And since 2004 I have been working as a freelance journalist based in Berlin.