Vanessa de l'Or was born in 1969 in Düsseldorf.
She studied Russian History, History of Art and Polical Philosophy at Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania, USA, as well as Economics at the University of Heidelberg and the Technical University of Berlin (1988 bis 1995, Degree of Diplomvolkswirtin).
- 1996 freelance journalist for the Russian section of Moskovskije Novosti, a weekly newspaper based in Moscow.
- End of 1996 till 2000 trainee and economic section editor of the Berlin newspaper Tagesspiegel.
- 2000 International Journalists programs (IJP) scholarship at the financial newspaper Estrategia, Santiago de Chile.
- 2000 till 2003 correspondent of the Handelsblatt in Berlin.
- 2003 Marion Gräfin Dönhoff-Programm scholarship for journalists at the state radio station of Georgia in Tiflis.
Since 2004 Vanessa has worked as a freelance journalist, writer and German teacher certified with distinction as a DaF-Teacher (German as a foreign language) in 2014 by the Goethe-Institute).
She speaks English, Russian, French, and Spanish fluently. She lives in Berlin, is married and has two children.